We implement two types of play based learning within the Kindy – child initiated and intentional teaching. Child initiated is based on observations of children’s interests eg. watching a spider in the playground might lead to further discovery of the life of a spider through books, art, experiments. Teacher initiated experiences are often based on developing particular content eg. a numeracy activity in which children use peas in pods – predict how many peas inside, open the pod, count the peas, more or less than you guessed, compare how many more or less than the last one, graph the data.
For the most part, our program focuses on –
- Developing positive social skills – share, take turns, resolve conflict
- Understanding emotions – verbalise feelings, regulate emotion
- Building resilience – keep trying, do it again
- Fostering independence – make decisions and choices
- Encouraging confidence – have a go, it’s OK to make mistakes
- Managing self-care routines – managing lunch, toileting, washing hands
- Taking responsibility – naming art work, putting away belongings
Wacky Wednesday is our time to introduce God to our children. We explore the gifts of “Fruits of the Spirit” – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. We help the children begin to understand and discover these gifts in themselves and others. These gifts help children to grow socially and emotionally benefitting friendships and equipping them to overcome change and challenges.
Each week has a topic that focuses on a particular area. Stories, songs, activities and prayer are all incorporated in the program. Examples of some of our activities –
- Love – cooking love heart shaped biscuits
- Joy – through science with a volcanic eruption
- Peace – painting the dove
Wacky Wednesday brings both Blue Room and Green Room together. In Term 1 the sessions are short and incorporate a story, some songs and a prayer. In Term 2 and 3 activities are included and this is our inside session for the day. The children are divided into four groups that rotate around the whole Kindy. Parents are invited to help out with these activity sessions.